Thieves steal file on slain DRC activist

2013-05-31 13:27

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - Thieves have stolen the legal case-file on Floribert Chebeya, a prominent human rights activist murdered in June 2010 in Democratic Republic of Congo, according to the association Voix des Sans Voix (VSV - Voice of the Voiceless), which he founded.

On Wednesday night, the burglars broke into the offices of lawyer Jean-Marie Kabengela Ilunga and stole "a television set, a sum of money, books [and] a bag containing the file in the affair of Floribert Chebeya and Fidele Bazana", his driver who disappeared, the non-governmental organisation said in a statement received Friday.

Before this "evidently planned robbery", the lawyer received "anonymous phone calls", VSV added. "The people at the other end of the line said not a word and this happened, strangely, whenever Mr Ilunga wanted to enter or leave his offices."

VSV "once more reiterates its deep concerns following the recurrent insecurity that has hung over the lawyers in the matter of the double murder" of Chebeya and his driver, who is presumed dead, the statement said.

Chebeya, 47, was summoned on June 1, 2010, by the then chief of national police, General John Numbi, who later denied setting up any meeting, but was suspended from his duties over the affair.

Chebeya's body was found the following day in his car and his wrists showed traces of having been handcuffed. Bazana's body vanished completely.

The murder of the well-known rights activist led to many protests and several arrests, while Western nations demanded clarification of the affair and appropriate legal action.

On June 23 2011, the military court in Kinshasa convicted the deputy chief of police special services, Colonel Daniel Mukalay, and sentenced him to death, together with three police officers tried in their absence because they had fled. A fourth was sent to jail and three others acquitted.

The condemned men, who appealed, have again been on trial since June 19 last year before the high military court in the capital, but after long interruptions, proceedings were suspended last May 7, pending a ruling by the constitutional court on a claim of irregularities by civil parties in the case.

Read more on:    floribert chebeya  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.