UK embassy: Sudan captive okay

2012-05-01 22:19
Khartoum - The British embassy said on Tuesday it had met with one of its citizens allegedly detained by Sudan's army along the tense southern border and he is in good condition.

The Briton, Chris Fielding, has been held for at least three days along with Norwegian John Sorbo, South African Thabo Siave and an unidentified South Sudanese.

Sudan's army said on Saturday it arrested them in the Heglig oil region as they collected "war debris for investigation", and suggested the men were working in support of South Sudan in its "aggression" against the north.

In good health

Their employers say they were on a demining mission on the South Sudanese side of the border.
Diplomats said they had been pushing for access to the captives, who are being held at a military facility in the capital Khartoum.

"We had consular access and he is in good health," a British embassy spokesperson told AFP.

Danish ambassador Jens-Petter Kjemprud said he was still waiting for a meeting with Sorbo, but has been told that the captive's health is good.

Jan Ledang, country director for the Norwegian People's Aid mission in South Sudan, identified Sorbo as one of his employees.

A South African demining company said two of its workers were among the group abducted by the Sudanese military while on a UN landmine clearance contract in South Sudan.

Illegally crossed border - Sudan

The ambassadors of Norway, Britain and South Africa met on Monday with a senior foreign ministry official, the ministry's spokesperson Al-Obeid Meruh said in a statement.

He said the ambassadors were told that their citizens are under investigation because they illegally crossed the border into a military area, and had military equipment with them.

Nationalist feeling has intensified in Sudan after South Sudan occupied the north's main Heglig oilfield for 10 days, a move which coincided with Sudanese air strikes against the South.

It was the most serious fighting since the South's independence last July, and raised fears of a wider war.

Sudan declared on April 20 that its troops had forced the Southern soldiers out of Heglig, but the South said it withdrew of its own accord in line with international calls.


Read more on:    sudan  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.