News24

UN: 5 000 displaced in DRC's North Kivu

2012-05-02 20:39

Kinshasa - The United Nations refugee agency says about 5 000 people have been displaced because of fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu province.

The UNHCR said on Wednesday that most of the displaced are children and the elderly. The agency counted at least 2 000 internally displaced Congolese and more than 2 700 refugees who crossed into Rwanda.

Clashes between Congo's army and former rebels who joined the army but then left had been going on for days in late April in the Masisi region of North Kivu. Early in April, several senior military and former members of a rebel group left Congo's army.

The officers are loyal to notorious ex-warlord Bosco Ntaganda.

Ntaganda, who has been serving in the country's army despite an international indictment on war crimes charges, denied any involvement in the new mutiny.