UN blasts Kinshasa for expelling top envoy

2014-10-20 08:15
High Commissioner of the United Nations for human rights, Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein of Jordan. (Fabrice Coffrini, AFP)

High Commissioner of the United Nations for human rights, Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein of Jordan. (Fabrice Coffrini, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Geneva - The UN rights chief on Sunday condemned Kinshasa for expelling his top envoy to the Democratic Republic of Congo, and accused the authorities of intimidating other members of his staff.

"Not only has my highly experienced and respected representative in DRC, Scott Campbell, been told to leave, but two other staff working in his team have been seriously threatened in recent days", Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement.

"This is unacceptable", he said, demanding an investigation into the threats.

"With these acts of intimidation and reprisal, the Congolese authorities risk setting back years of strenuous efforts by UN human rights staff and some sectors of the Congolese authorities to assist victims of human rights violations and strengthen the rule of law", he warned.

Campbell, who headed the UN Human Rights office in the country, was declared persona non grata on Thursday, a day after the publication of a damning report on a police crackdown on youth gangs.

Bodies dumped in a river

"The fact that their work, mandated by the Security Council, has led to these acts of reprisal is a very disturbing development indeed", said the UN rights chief.

The report, published jointly by the UN mission in the country, Monusco, and Zeid's office, said at least nine people had been summarily executed and 32 went missing during the police operation in Kinshasa between last November and February.

Bodies had been dumped in a river or buried in mass graves, according to the report, which held the Congolese interior ministry responsible.

Monusco head Martin Kobler had urged Kinshasa to reconsider its decision, stressing that he had "full confidence and trust in Scott Campbell and the work undertaken by his whole team."

Zeid said he joined "wholeheartedly with Mr Kobler in supporting [the report's] conclusions and recommendations".

"The government of the DRC should be investigating its deeply disturbing findings and bringing alleged perpetrators to justice rather than seeking to punish the leader of the team that researched and produced the report", he said.

Read more on:    un  |  monusco  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.