UN gives DRC a week to act against rape

2013-03-28 07:38

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - The United Nations on Wednesday gave Democratic Republic of Congo a final one week deadline to take action against two army battalions accused of carrying out at least 126 rapes, diplomats said.

The UN peacekeeping chief Herve Lasous delivered the ultimatum at a meeting with DRC Foreign Minister Raymond Tshibanda on Wednesday at the UN headquarters, diplomats said.

The meeting was held as the UN Security Council prepares to vote on Thursday on a resolution setting up an intervention brigade to help the army combat rebel groups in eastern DRC.

"The Congo government has been told that the army's actions cannot be accepted and there will be serious repercussions," said one UN diplomat.

The UN officials confirmed that Ladsous discussed the rapes with the minister on Wednesday, but gave no details of the ultimatum.

The UN threatened in two letters sent to the government in February to stop working with the army battalions involved unless action was taken over the rapes.

The UN says at least 126 women were raped in the town of Minova around November 20 as the army retreated from an assault by the M23 rebel movement on the regional capital of Goma. Widespread pillaging was reported around Minova.

The DRC army is heavily reliant on UN equipment and military support in its efforts to control the armed groups that hold sway in resource-rich eastern DRC.

The notoriously feeble DRC army has been much criticized for its brutality against civilians and corruption. UN officials said it "melted away" during the M23 advance last year.

Human Rights Watch says that over a 10-day period the soldiers "went on a raping and looting rampage in Minova and neighbouring communities."

The UN said in December that its investigators had evidence of at least 126 rapes, and that two soldiers had been arrested for rape and seven for looting around Minova. But rights groups say no officer has been arrested, and none of the charges have been followed up.

Human Rights Watch said in a report in February that several women told their investigators that "soldiers in official army uniform forced their way into the women's homes at night" demanded money and carried out the rapes.

Read more on:    un  |  m23  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.