News24

UN revises death toll in Ivory Coast attack

2012-04-28 16:27

Abidjan - Seven people died and about a dozen homes burned in an attack on a village in Ivory Coast's restive southwest, bordering Liberia, the UN said on Friday revising an earlier toll given by a military source.

"Seven people were killed in the attack" against the village of Sakre and six, including two children and a woman, were wounded, said the United Nations humanitarian agency (OCHA).

The death toll in the attack overnight on Tuesday was earlier put at eight and two people wounded.

Seven cases of rape were reported and several houses were looted, said OCHA.

"About 6 300 people were displaced" after the attack, with most of them finding shelter outside the town hall of Tai, about 30km farther north, where they are assisted by humanitarian organisations.

Four attackers had been arrested.

A military source earlier blamed the attack on sympathisers of ousted strongman Laurent Gbagbo, currently in custody at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, where he faces charges of crimes against humanity.

The source said the attackers were based in Liberia.

Gbagbo's refusal to cede power to Alassane Ouattara after 2010 polls sparked a bloodbath. According to the United Nations, some 3 000 people died in the violence – 1 000 of them in the west.

The region still faces security problems, and some 170 000 people remain displaced, the UN says.

Clashes have pitted pro-Gbagbo militias and mercenaries against the forces of President Ouattara who this week promised reconciliation and accountability during a visit to the region.