UN troops help 'neutralise' DRC militia

2015-06-25 10:39
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - The United Nations said on Wednesday that around a quarter of Congolese militia group the Patriotic Revolutionary Forces of Ituri (FRPI) had been "neutralised" after a three-week military operation.

The Congolese army, backed by UN peacekeeping troops, launched an offensive against the FRPI in early June, leaving 35 people dead, 52 wounded, and 36 captured alive, according to Martin Kobler, head of the UN's Monusco mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Kobler said the UN had provided military aid, including attack helicopters and drones, as well as logistical support.

The operation indicates bridge-building between Kinshasa and the UN peacekeepers after several months of tensions over which Congolese leaders should lead joint missions.

Ituri, in the DR Congo's northeast, has experienced a resurgence in violence in recent months after the surrender of FRPI leader Cobra Matata in November.

The FRPI is one of many militias formed along largely ethnic lines that fought in Ituri between 1999 and 2007 for a stake in the region's rich natural resources, including gold.

Several thousands of FRPI militants and many more from other rebel forces accepted demobilisation in 2004-2006, but the group began reforming in late 2007.

The UN announcement came as Kobler also urged the Congolese government and the international community to fund the demobilisation and reintegration of former rebels, adding that the programme was suffering delays.

"We need more money, because without money we cannot act," Kobler told a press conference in Kinshasa.

The German diplomat said Monusco had unblocked $6m for the programme, but "the international community is a bit reluctant to give us more money at the moment because the Congolese government's contribution is not clear."

Under plans for the programme, the Congolese government is supposed to provide $10 million, but has so far only stumped up $1.5m, Kobler said.

Read more on:    un  |  drc  |  central africa  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.