News24

UN welcomes probe into Libya killings

2011-10-27 11:48

New York - Killings committed by both sides during the final battle for the Libyan city of Sirte could be considered war crimes, the United Nations said on Wednesday as it welcomed plans by the country's transitional government to investigate.

Ian Martin, the head of the UN mission in Libya, told the Security Council during an open session in New York that killings by rebel troops in Sirte went against the orders of the National Transitional Council.

Martin said Muammar Gaddafi and his son Mutassim were "mistreated and killed" in circumstances requiring an investigation after they were captured last week.

"The evidence has mounted to deliberate killings of prisoners by the Gaddafi regime during the conflict, including the last days in Tripoli, as well as some abuses by the revolutionary fighters," he said.

The whereabouts of another son of Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam, and Abdullah al-Senussi are unknown. Both have been indicted by the International Criminal Court.

Comments
  • Frank - 2011-10-27 19:25

    NATO reaches its objectives first by murdering tens of thousands of civilians without any thought at all, they now try to act like a moral institution. "DON'T BOTHER NATO WE SEE WHAT YOU REALLY ARE"

  • Frank - 2011-10-27 19:44

    I am directing anger at intergovernmental military alliance ,I hope the UN can reform and get rid of Trojan horse countries that have destroyed NATO

  • Amos - 2011-10-29 12:38

    Nato (usually USA, Britain and France) not only murders "tens of thousands of civilians" but also destroys the infrastructure as well so that they can go in and cream off under the guise of reconstruction and development.

  • pages:
  • 1