Zanzibar opposition urges calm amid political crisis

2015-11-02 13:25
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Zanzibar - Zanzibar's opposition chief called for calm on Monday, having previously threatened to lead protests if results of annulled elections were not released on the semi-autonomous Tanzanian islands.

Troops patrolled the streets of the capital of the Indian Ocean archipelago, after homemade bombs exploded in Zanzibar town over the weekend, an AFP reporter said.

Zanzibar's electoral commission ruled last week that the October 25 vote on the islands - where the 500 000 registered voters also cast ballots for Tanzania's national president - must be carried out again, citing "violations of electoral law".

The annulment came after a key candidate, Seif Sharif Hamad of the opposition Civic United Front (CUF), declared himself the winner before the results were officially announced.

Hamad threatened to call for protests if the situation was not resolved by Monday, saying he would not concede victory to his main rival, incumbent president Ali Mohamed Shien of the long-running Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM).

But on Monday Hamad urged supporters to allow a political deal to be struck.

Amicable and peaceful resolution

"I ask CUF fans and Zanzibaris to remain calm and observe peace - diplomatic efforts have been going on well," Hamad said. "Let us be patient, as the international community is also helping to have Zanzibar's political crisis resolved."

Outgoing Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete said in a statement on Sunday he had been "working tirelessly and consulting widely over the last few days to find an amicable and peaceful resolution to the situation in Zanzibar."

African and other international observers in Tanzania have said they are deeply concerned at Zanzibar's annulment, urging leaders to "cast aside their differences" to ensure peace.

Zanzibar has experienced sectarian and political tensions in recent years, including several grenade explosions.

A government statement said that Shein would remain in charge until fresh elections.

"Some people including politicians are misleading Zanzibaris by saying the islands would have no legitimate president after November 2 2015," the statement read. "The president is here to stay until next elections."

The twin blasts on Saturday caused no casualties but the explosions sparked concern on the islands, whose economy is dependent on foreign tourists.

Late on Friday, explosives experts also detonated a homemade device in the heart of the historic Stone Town district, a Unesco-listed area.

Read more on:    jakaya kikwete  |  tanzania  |  zanzibar  |  east africa  |  tanzania elections

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.