Zuma presses on with NPA boss
Johannesburg - The Presidency has informed axed National Prosecuting Authority boss Vusi Pikoli that his permanent successor will be appointed, despite Pikoli challenging his dismissal in court, Business Day reported on Wednesday.
Pikoli said on Tuesday that he had received notice of the impending appointment.
His lawyer, Aslam Moosajee, said the move would be opposed.
"We will argue that the decision to remove Pikoli from office may well be set aside," said Moosajee of Deneys Reitz law firm.
"I have written to the state attorney to request the date for the intended appointment."
Pikoli has said he was suspended by former president Thabo Mbeki to protect suspended police chief Jackie Selebi from an investigation.
After former president Kgalema Motlanthe fired him last year, Pikoli claimed it was because the ANC wanted a more amenable prosecutions head. Jacob Zuma was then facing charges of fraud and corruption.
Pikoli has written to Judge President Bernard Ngoepe of the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, asking for a court date for his case in which he is challenging his dismissal on the grounds that it was unconstitutional and "flawed".
Zuma’s acting spokesperson, Vincent Magwenya, declined to comment, saying that "at this stage we have taken a decision not to comment until processes have been finalised".