Al-Shabaab beheads 9 civilians in attack on Kenya village

2017-07-08 14:39
File: AP

File: AP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi -  Al-Shabaab extremists from neighbouring Somalia beheaded nine civilians in an early-morning attack on a village in the southeast, Kenyan officials said on Saturday, as concerns grew that the group had taken up a bloody new strategy.

The attack occurred in Jima village in Lamu County, said James Ole Serian, who leads a task force of security agencies combating al-Shabaab.

Beheadings by al-Shabaab have been rare in Kenya, where the extremist group has carried out dozens of deadly attacks over the years.

The East African country has seen an increase in attacks claimed by al-Shabaab in recent weeks, posing a security threat ahead of next month's presidential election.

The al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab has vowed retribution on Kenya for sending troops in 2011 to Somalia to fight the group, which last year became the deadliest Islamic extremist group in Africa.

Saturday's attack occurred in the Pandaguo area, where al-Shabaab fighters engaged security agencies in a day-long battle three days ago.

A police report says about 15 al-Shabaab fighters on Saturday attacked Jima village and seized men, killing them with knives.

Beheadings by al-Shabaab are not uncommon in Somalia, where the extremists carry them out on people who are believed to be enemies. The tactic also is used to terrorize local populations.

Al-Shabaab in recent months also has increased attacks in Kenya with homemade bombs, killing at least 46 in Lamu and Mandera counties.

The increase in attacks presents a huge problem for Kenya's security agencies ahead of the August 8 presidential election, said security analyst and former US Marine Andrew Franklin.

On election day security agencies will be strained while attempting stop any possible violence and al-Shabaab could take advantage, he said.

There was no immediate government comment on Saturday on the latest attack. President Uhuru Kenyatta has not issued any statement on the recent surge in al-Shabaab attacks.

Kenya is among five countries contributing troops to an African Union force that is bolstering Somalia's fragile central government against al-Shabaab's insurgency.

Of the troop-contributing countries, Kenya has borne the brunt of retaliatory attacks from al-Shabaab.

Read more on:    al shabaab  |  kenya  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.