At least 5 dead in Guinea Ebola flare-up

2016-03-22 22:34
A health care worker wears his Ebola virus protective gear before entering a high risk zone. (Michael Duff, AP)

A health care worker wears his Ebola virus protective gear before entering a high risk zone. (Michael Duff, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - Ebola has likely killed five people in Guinea after re-emerging in the country's south, health authorities said on Tuesday, confirming two more deaths registered in recent days.

"Since the re-emergence of the disease, we have recorded five deaths, three probable and two confirmed," said Fode Tass Sylla, spokesperson for the government's Ebola response unit.

The three probable deaths were people who were buried before they could be tested, Sylla said, adding that 961 people may have come into contact with the victims and would now undergo monitoring.

Ebola was suspected in the case of a married couple who died in the rural southern village of Koropara, the wife in late February and the husband in early March, authorities had said last week.

This was followed by the deaths of a second wife of the same man and an 8-year-old girl at an Ebola treatment centre after health officials were alerted to the presence of the disease.

In addition, a man who tested positive for Ebola in the city of Nzerekore died on Monday, Sylla said.

A medical charity which reopened its specialist Ebola clinic in southern Guinea on Friday to treat the deceased girl and her mother was still caring for the woman, who had tested positive for the virus, the Alliance For International Medical Action (ALIMA) told AFP.

An investigation into the hundreds of people who may have acquired the disease from contact with Ebola victims was under way, focusing on "who came to [victims'] burials, who paid them visits, who washed the bodies," Sylla added.

The World Health Organisation said on Friday Guinean health officials had alerted it to Ebola symptoms in the family's village on March 16.

On Thursday the UN health body was already warning that a recurrence of the deadly virus - which has claimed 11 300 lives since December 2013 - remained a possibility.

The Guinean government said a quarantined area around the family's home would be established, and announced a door-to-door search for other potential Ebola cases in the district.

The village is in the same region where the first Ebola case of the current outbreak was registered in December 2013.

Guinea was declared free of Ebola transmission at the end of last year, though a significant number of deaths are believed to have gone unreported and "flare-ups" relating to the persistence of the virus in survivors bodies poses ongoing challenges.

Read more on:    guinea  |  ebola

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.