Boko Haram ambushes humanitarian convoy, wounds 5 in Nigeria

2016-07-29 15:00
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maiduguri – Boko Haram Islamic extremists ambushed a humanitarian convoy escorted by troops in northeast Nigeria on Thursday, wounding three civilians including a UN worker, and two soldiers, the army and UNICEF said.

The attack comes as aid agencies are warning that children are dying of starvation daily among more than 500 000 people in need of urgent help in recently liberated areas that still are dangerous to reach.

An employee of the UN Children's Fund and a contractor for the International Organization for Migration were among those wounded in the ambush on the road from the city of Bama to Maiduguri, the regional capital and headquarters of the military's campaign against the Islamic insurgency that is 70km to the northwest.

A military escorted convoy carrying Doctors Without Borders workers exploded a land mine earlier this week a few kilometres from the scene of the ambush but no one was hurt, according to soldiers who were there. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to speak to reporters.

Army spokesperson Col Sani Kukasheka Usman said the insurgents were hiding in Meleri village near Kawuri, the official gateway to the sprawling Sambisa Forest that has been a Boko Haram stronghold. The military warned earlier this month that Boko Haram fighters were fleeing its daily aerial bombardments and ground attacks in the forest, heading toward the border with Cameroon.

Thursday's attack will make it even more difficult to get food and medical help to civilians.

"People are gathered, isolated and cut off in a half-destroyed town and are totally dependent on external assistance, which is cruelly lacking," Hugues Robert, the emergency program manager of Doctors Without Borders warned on Wednesday. "If we don't manage quickly to provide them with food, water and urgent medical supplies, malnutrition and disease will continue to wreak havoc."

The 7-year uprising by Boko Haram, which joined the Islamic State group last year, has killed more than 20 000 people, forced more than 2 million from their homes and spread across Nigeria's borders to Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

Read more on:    un  |  unicef  |  nigeria  |  boko haram  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.