Boko Haram attack kills seven in Nigeria: security sources

2017-02-24 17:27
(File :AP)

(File :AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kano - At least seven soldiers were killed in a Boko Haram attack on military positions in northeast Nigeria, a civilian vigilante and a security source said on Friday.

The attack happened in the town of Gajiram, about 80km by road north of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, on Wednesday afternoon.

A military source in Maiduguri and a civilian vigilante, Babakura Kolo, both told AFP on Thursday that the fighting lasted for about two hours and that three soldiers were killed.

But Kolo said on Friday that the toll had risen and that it was "now seven, including one lieutenant, and six rank and file.

"Yesterday, three bodies of soldiers were found but four more bodies were found during a search."

The security source said three militants were also killed and troops were combing the area to find other rebel fighters.

AFP contacted the military for comment but there was no immediate response.

Fighters loyal to Abu Musab Al-Barnawi were suspected of carrying out the attack, said Kolo.

The Islamic State group, to which Boko Haram is affiliated, announced that Barnawi was leader last year.

He split from the faction following long-time Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau in opposition at his indiscriminate attacks on civilians.

Barnawi has instead vowed to hit only "hard" targets such as the military and police.

His group is believed to operate in northern Borno state, towards Lake Chad and the border with Niger.

According to the security source, the insurgents went door to door collecting recently distributed food aid for residents.

Kolo said vigilantes had been told by arrested Boko Haram suspects that they sourced most of their food from Gajiram and Monguno, a garrison town 60km away.

Nigeria's government wants the hundreds of thousands of displaced people staying in camps and host communities to return to their homes as soon as the military makes areas safe again.

But another attack on Wednesday near Gajiganna, some 50km from Maiduguri on the way to Gajiram, highlighted the risks they run.

"Some displaced people were returning to their villages in the area to harvest their abandoned cornfields when they were intercepted by Boko Haram," said Kolo.

"They killed some and took away others," he said, without specifying a death toll.

Read more on:    isis  |  boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.