Boko Haram kills eight farmers in Nigeria

2017-09-08 18:22
(File, AP)

(File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kano - Boko Haram jihadists killed eight people in a series of raids on farming communities in northeast Nigeria, civilian militia members and local residents told AFP on Friday.

The attacks were carried out by gunmen travelling in pick-up trucks and on motorcycles outside the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, on Wednesday and Thursday.

Homes were razed, and food and livestock seized in an apparent reprisal attack against young men joining the civilian militia, which helps the military with security.

"They killed eight farmers in the raids and burnt three villages which forced farmers to abandon their farms," said one militia leader, Ibrahim Liman.

Some 17 Islamist fighters stormed Mallan village at about 0700 GMT on Thursday, killing two farmers.

Three people were shot dead in the same village on Wednesday night, said resident Jidda Kori, who fled to Maiduguri.

"They mainly targeted young men in the attacks because they believe every young man is a member of the civilian vigilante" he added.

"They burnt down the entire village and took away our food, livestock and 13 bicycles."

Kesa Kura village, which is near Mallan, was also attacked on Wednesday night, killing three people, said resident Mohammed Ahmed.

Another village, Manjita, was razed but residents managed to flee after they were alerted by people fleeing Mallan, he added.

The eight-year Boko Haram conflict has forced farmers and their families to flee their homes and fields, leading to a shortage of food and exacerbating a humanitarian crisis.

Many were living in camps for the displaced in and around Maiduguri but had moved back to their homes because of apparent successes in the counter-insurgency.

A cash funding shortfall for feeding programmes has also forced people to leave the camps to try to resume farming in liberated areas after three missed seasons.

At least 20 000 people have been killed and more than 2.6 million others made homeless by the violence, which began in 2009.

The latest attacks come despite the repeated insistence of Nigeria's government and military that Boko Haram is a spent force.

On Monday, four people were killed in a drive-by shooting on a group of farmers working on their fields in Ngawo Fato Bulabulin village outside Maiduguri.

Last week a farmer was shot dead and four others were abducted by the jihadists as they worked on their farms near the town of Konduga, 38km from Maiduguri.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.