Boko Haram releases new video denying surrender

2016-04-01 17:00
Boko Haram fighter. (AP)

Boko Haram fighter. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kano - Boko Haram released a new video on Friday denying any suggestions it would surrender, just over a week after their shadowy leader Abubakar Shekau appeared in a rare message looking dejected and frail.

Shekau, who was not seen on camera for more than a year, released an unverified video late last month and said his time in charge of the Nigerian jihadist group may be coming to an end.

If the video indeed depicts Shekau, he appears thin and listless, delivering his message without his trademark fiery rhetoric.

It prompted speculation from the army that the Islamist group was on the verge of collapse in the face of a sustained military counter-insurgency.

However, in Friday's message, Boko Haram maintained it was a potent fighting force, with fighters posing with AK47s in front of Toyota Hilux pick-up trucks and a lorry mounted with a military cannon.

"You should know that there is no truce, there is no negotiations, there is no surrender," an unidentified masked man wearing camouflage said in a prepared script in Hausa, in the video posted on YouTube.

"This war between us will not stop."

The video, which was of markedly better quality than Shekau's and included Arabic subtitles, featured nine masked Boko Haram fighters standing on sandy ground in an undisclosed desert location.

It is unclear if the masked people in the video include the Boko Haram leader.

Shekau was still the head of the "West African wing", said the masked man in the video, likening Boko Haram to the Islamist insurgencies in Iraq, Libya and Syria.

In March 2015, Boko Haram pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, another of the world's most deadly terror organisations.

But there were few signs Boko Haram - now styled as Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) - has so far benefited from the partnership.

Nigeria's army has since then won back swathes of territory from the militants, liberating thousands living under Boko Haram control.

An estimated 20 000 people have been killed since Boko Haram began its campaign of violence in 2009 to carve out a hardline Islamic state in northeast Nigeria.

More than 2.6 million people have fled their homes since then but some of the internally displaced have begun returning.


Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.