Boko Haram torches village near Chibok

2015-12-08 17:03
Parents of the kidnapped school girls sit outside a compound during a meeting in Chibok, Nigeria. (Sunday Alamba, AP, File)

Parents of the kidnapped school girls sit outside a compound during a meeting in Chibok, Nigeria. (Sunday Alamba, AP, File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kano - Boko Haram gunmen have torched almost an entire village near the northeast Nigerian town of Chibok from where over 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped, a resident who fled and a local elder said on Tuesday.

The raid in Takulashi village happened on Sunday and saw the Islamists loot food supplies, two days after fighters stole more than 200 cattle from the same location.

Recent months have seen a reduction in such hit-and-run raids in rural northeast Nigeria, in an indication the rebels' ability to strike has been reduced by an army counter-offensive.

But sporadic raids still occur and there is concern about an increase in suicide and bomb attacks in urban centres.

A group of insurgents on bicycles and on foot invaded the farming and herding community at about 06:00 on Sunday, shooting indiscriminately and setting fire to homes.

"They burnt more than 100 homes in the village. Only five houses were spared the inferno," said a resident who gave his name as David, after fleeing to the nearby town of Askira Uba.

The attackers loaded food supplies onto four vehicles they took from the village and burnt four more they were unable to take with them. The rest of the supplies were set on fire.

"We will have to wait till everybody is back to know if there were any fatalities in the attack," Ayuba Chibok, a community leader in Chibok, told AFP.

"We are making contacts with the residents who fled to locations where there is a phone network.

"We thought the worst had happened after Boko Haram rustled over 200 cattle in the village on Friday."

In April last year 12 people were killed when gunmen attacked Takulashi in the wake of the abduction of 276 schoolgirls from their school in Chibok by Boko Haram.

Fifty-seven girls escaped soon afterwards but nothing has been seen or heard from the remaining 219 in captivity since a video in May 2014.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  security  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.