Burundi army locks grade 8 classes after president's picture defaced

2016-06-02 21:15
President of Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza. (Raveendran, AFP)

President of Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza. (Raveendran, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - More than 300 students at a high school in Burundi have been suspended for defacing a photo of President Pierre Nkurunziza, parents and an official told AFP on Thursday.

The students, from a school in Ruziba, south of the capital Bujumbura, were sent home a week ago after staff found they had defaced a picture of the president in a textbook.

"After they found the defiled photos in human sciences textbooks, the administration sent every student in the eighth grade home," a parent who asked to remain anonymous told AFP.

The parent said the administration told the students, aged between 14 and 16, that they could not come back to class until they turned in those responsible for the graffiti.

School staff discovered the desecrated photos a week ago in about 40 of the textbooks. In some of the pictures the eyes had been gouged out, while insults against the president were scrawled over others.

The parent said they had apologised for the graffiti during a meeting with the management, but said they "wouldn't hear it".

"It's terrible. We don't know what's going to happen," the parent said.

School director Yves Marimba told AFP that "a solution has been found" but did not comment on the students' return.

Everyone afraid

Ruziba, a town in the county of Kanyosha just south of Bujumbura, is a stronghold of principal opposition leader Agathon Rwasa.

When reached by AFP, Kanyosha city chief Abdul Bampoye refused to answer questions on the issue, saying he "didn't have any details at the moment".

"Everyone is afraid," said a teacher at the school who also requested anonymity to discuss the controversy.

The unnamed teacher said Burundi's national intelligence and security service "has taken over the matter and soldiers stationed in Ruziba are the ones who came to lock the doors of all the eighth grade classes".

The central African country has been plunged into a deep crisis since Nkurunziza announced in April 2015 that he was running for a third term, a vote he won last July amid opposition boycotts.

Violence has left more than 500 people dead and forced more than 270 000 Burundians to flee the country, according to the UN.

Read more on:    pierre nkurunziza  |  burundi  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.