Buses ferry workers as Sudan 'sit-at-home' strike fails

2016-12-19 20:00
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Khartoum - A nationwide "sit-at-home" strike called by Sudanese opposition activists in protest at price hikes failed on Monday as buses ferried workers to offices and schools remained open.

The one-day action is part of a "civil disobedience movement" launched by activists against a government decision in November to hike fuel prices that has led to a sharp rise in the cost of other goods, including medicines.

But Sudanese went to work and traffic in Khartoum was busy as usual, an AFP correspondent reported after touring several districts of the capital.

"I have already made three trips to downtown ferrying passengers to their work places," said Ahmed Fadil, a minibus driver who operates from the main bus station.

The three-wheeled rickshaws, the main mode of transportation for thousands of labourers, were also trundling on Khartoum's streets.

New anti-regime protests 

"Everything is normal. I have been taking people to work as on any other day," said one driver.

Cafes, restaurants and shops were open in downtown Khartoum, as hawkers and street vendors displayed their goods on pavements.

Schools across Khartoum and other cities remained open, while several banks and private companies told AFP their employees had reported to work.

"It seems many people are not even aware of the strike call," the manager of a private hotel chain said, asking not to be named.

Ahead of the action, groups of activists, actors, journalists, lawyers, teachers and pharmacists had taken to social media to mobilise support after a similar three-day strike last month drew a mixed response.

On December 12, Bashir had vowed to crush any new anti-regime protests as the authorities did three years ago.

International condemnation 

A previous round of fuel subsidy cuts in 2013 sparked serious unrest that was only suppressed by a deadly government crackdown that drew international condemnation.

Rights groups say about 200 lives were lost in street clashes with security forces, while the government puts the death toll at less than 100.

The authorities are determined to avoid any repetition of unrest and have rounded up several opposition leaders to prevent widespread protests this time.

Khartoum has been forced to progressively reduce fuel subsidies since 2011 when South Sudan seceded and took with it nearly three-quarters of the formerly united country's oil reserves.

Read more on:    omar al-bashir  |  sudan  |  east africa  |  sudan protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

SA stats: The role of pets in families

New survey shows impact animals have on SA families

 
 

Paws

Does your dog have separation anxiety?
Fascinating facts about dogs
Perfectly captured cat snapchats!
Out with the old dog, in with the new
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.