CAR's first Catholic cardinal marches for peace

2016-10-13 09:26


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Bangui - The first Catholic cardinal of the Central African Republic marched for peace on Wednesday as more deadly violence in the war-ravaged country left at least six people dead.

The latest violence, in which between six and nine people died, occurred during fighting in the central market town of Kaga-Bandoro, security sources said.

The violence broke out when four ex-Seleka militiamen tried to steal a local radio station's generator and launched reprisals after one of their men was killed.

"Ex-Seleka" is the term used for remnants of the supposedly disbanded alliance of mainly-Muslim armed groups which seized power in CAR in late 2013 before being chased from the capital the following year.

Faced with such deadly violence Dieudonne Nzapalainga, the Bangui archbishop who was appointed cardinal by Pope Francis at the weekend, led a march for peace in a Muslim area of the capital on Wednesday.

"Let nobody divide us, We want peace for the future of our country," said Nzapalainga, who at 49 was the youngest of 17 new cardinals named by the pope on Sunday.

Fears of a bloodbath 

The peace march was attended by thousands of Christians and Muslims in the predominantly Christian country.

Last week the murder of an army officer in Bangui's predominantly Muslim PK5 neighbourhood provoked a cycle of violence which left another 11 people dead.

CAR, one of the world's poorest countries, was plunged into chaos by the March 2013 ousting of long-serving president Francois Bozize, a Christian, by the mainly Muslim Seleka rebel alliance.

The coup sparked revenge attacks involving Muslim forces and Christian vigilante groups known as "anti-balaka" (anti-machete) militias.

Thousands were slaughtered in the spiral of atrocities that displaced about a tenth of the population of 4.8 million.

Fears of a bloodbath led to a military intervention by former colonial power France and the deployment of UN peacekeepers.

French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian will visit Bangui on October 30 to officially end his country's military Operation Sangaris, which was launched in December 2013 in a bid to quell violence between Christian and Muslim militias.

The armed groups still threaten the peace in the country despite the presence of the 12,000-strong UN MINUSCA force.

President Faustin-Archange Touadera on Wednesday renewed his call for militia groups to put down their arms.

Read more on:    central african republic  |  central africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.