Chibok girls release was not prisoner swap, Nigeria says

2016-10-13 18:30

iStock (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja - Nigeria's information minister said on Thursday that the release of 21 of the more than 200 Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram more than two years ago was not a prisoner swap.

"Please note that this is not a swap. It is a release, the product of painstaking negotiations and trust on both sides," Lai Mohammed told reporters in Abuja, denying claims from local sources that the girls were freed in exchange for four Boko Haram prisoners.

The minister said the release followed intensive negotiations with Boko Haram leadership.

"As soon as the necessary confidence was built on both sides, the parties agreed on the date and the location of the release of the 21 girls," he said.

The government would continue to pursue the release of the remaining girls, he said, adding that those freed would receive medical attention and care.

Global attention 

"We see this as a credible first step in the eventual release of all the Chibok girls in captivity. It is also a major step in confidence-building between us as a government and the Boko Haram leadership on the issue of the Chibok girls," he said.

Mohammed said the government would release the names of the girls after contacting their parents and verifying their identities.

Nigeria announced last month that it had opened negotiations with Boko Haram to secure the release of the abducted girls - but revealed that the talks were derailed due to a divisions in the jihadist group.

Previous efforts to negotiate with the group also failed.

Boko Haram had insisted the girls would only be released in exchange for its members being held in government custody.

In April 2014, 276 girls were seized from their accommodation in the northeast town of Chibok as part of Boko Haram's campaign to establish an Islamist state in the region.

Scores of the girls escaped in the hours after the kidnapping, while another was rescued earlier this year.

The mass abduction drew global attention to the jihadist insurgency which has claimed some 20 000 lives and forced at least 2.6 million more to flee their homes since 2009.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa  |  nigeria kidnappings  |  abductions

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.