Children massacred in South Sudan battles: UN

2015-11-07 14:42
United Nations flag

United Nations flag (wikipedia)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - Dozens of children have been killed in fighting in South Sudan, where battles rage despite political deals to end almost two years of civil war, the United Nations has said.

The UN said that fighting in the northern battleground state of Unity has "intensified with grave consequences for civilians" in recent weeks, adding that 40,000 people are also starving to death.

The report by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) released late on Friday detailed killings in just one area of Unity state during a two-week period.

It said that in the Leer district of southern Unity, which has swapped hands multiple times between government and rebel forces, at least 80 civilians were killed between October 4 to 22.

Almost three-quarters of those killed were children - at least 57 killed in Leer - while there were more than 50 cases of rape being used as "a weapon of war", the report said.

Both sides are accused of having perpetrated ethnic massacres, recruited and killed children and carried out widespread rape, torture and forced displacement of populations to "cleanse" areas of their opponents.

Hunger experts from the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) have warned of a "concrete risk of famine" before the end of the year if fighting continues and aid does not reach the hardest-hit areas.

While some aid has reached two districts in Unity - Buaw and Koch - other areas are cut off.

Some 3.9 million people are in critical need of aid - a third of the country's population and a massive 80% rise compared to the same period last year, the UN said.

Civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that have split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.

The army and rebels have repeatedly accused each other of breaking an internationally-brokered August 26 ceasefire, the eighth such agreement aimed at ending the nearly two-year long war.

Read more on:    south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.