Congolese peacekeepers linked to mass murders in CAR

2016-06-09 12:04


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Activist group Human Rights Watch (HRW) has raised the alarm over the murders of at least 18 people at the hands of peacekeepers in the Central African Republic (CAR) between December 2013 and June 2015.

In a statement, HRW said soldiers from the Republic of Congo, who had been sent to CAR as peacekeepers, had wreaked havoc in the area, enforcing disappearances and killing citizens in large numbers.

A grave found near Boali was exhumed on February 16, 2016, and revealed the bodies of 12 people who had allegedly been detained by peacekeepers on March 2014.

The discovery brought into question claims made by the peacekeepers that the detainees had escaped, with HRW documenting the torture and subsequent death of two anti-balaka leaders in Bossangoa in December 2013.

In addition, two more suspected anti-balaka were publicly executed in Mambéré in February 2014, while two civilians were allegedly beaten to death in Mambéré in June 2015 by Congolese peacekeepers, the statement said. 

"The discovery of 12 bodies is damning evidence of an appalling crime by Congolese peacekeepers, who had been sent to protect people, not prey on them," said Lewis Mudge, Africa researcher at Human Rights Watch.

The responsibility of peacekeeping was handed over to the United Nations in September 2014, following which all existing Congolese peacekeepers were rotated out of CAR and replaced with new soldiers so that killings committed prior to this date did not become the burden of the UN.

Despite publishing numerous reports on murders and sexual exploitation committed at the hands of Congolese soldiers, the HRW  confirmed that they had received no response from officials within the government of the Republic of Congo.

The HRW called on officials from the African Union, UN and judicial authorities from Congo and CAR to ensure that those responsible for committing crimes against humanity were held accountable and that they received the full wrath of the law.

“Simply rotating troops out of the Central African Republic with no further consequences sends the message that peacekeepers can get away with murder,” Mudge said.

“No peacekeeper should be above the law.” 

Read more on:    un  |  hrw  |  au  |  congo  |  central african republic  |  central africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.