DRC investigating alleged army massacre video

2017-02-22 20:58
DRC flag. (iStock)

DRC flag. (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - The Democratic Republic of Congo said on Wednesday it was investigating "facts brought to the public's attention" after a video purportedly showing government troops massacring civilians prompted outrage.

The seven minutes of footage that emerged over the weekend shows a group of uniformed men opening fire, then walking among at least 20 bodies, apparently in the violence-wracked central Kasai region.

Past calls to probe the incident were rejected by the government but a statement issued by Kinshasa signalled a change of tack.

"After the broadcast on social networks of this atrocious video caused gossip in past days... a commission of military judges has been sent to verify the facts," the statement said.

The aim is to "shed light after the declarations of international opinion about the persistent allegations of serious violations of human rights attributed to elements of the Democratic Republic of Congo's armed forces" it added.

The alleged incident occurred during an operation in a village called Mwanza Lomba in Kasai, according to the government, which said the commission had already made arrests.

Anyone with information about the alleged crimes committed has been urged to come forward.

The United States and France on Monday urged Kinshasa's government to open an inquiry, with a US State Department spokesperson condemning the "heinous abuses" seen in the video.

The Kasai region has been plagued by violence since mid-August when government forces killed a tribal chief and militia leader, Kamwina Nsapu, who had rebelled against the central government.

At least 200 people have been killed since then, leading the UN mission in the country to pledge at least 100 peacekeepers for the region.

The authenticity of the Kasai video has not been proven.

It appears to have been shot with a mobile phone by a member of an eight-man squad of troops who speak Lingala (the army's official language) and Swahili (the language of the eastern DRC).

Two other videos emerged on Monday, supposedly taken in the same region, also purportedly showing abuses by DRC forces.

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

SA stats: The role of pets in families

New survey shows impact animals have on SA families

 
 

Paws

Does your dog have separation anxiety?
Fascinating facts about dogs
Perfectly captured cat snapchats!
Out with the old dog, in with the new
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.