DRC warlord on hunger strike at war crimes trial

2016-09-13 21:02
Bosco Ntaganda. (File: AFP)

Bosco Ntaganda. (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hague - Congolese former rebel Bosco Ntaganda has gone on hunger strike and is refusing to appear at his international war crimes trial in protest against his detention conditions, judges were told on Tuesday.

Ntaganda has also instructed his defence team to stop acting on his behalf at his trial which opened at the International Criminal Court in The Hague a year ago.

In a long, rambling, written statement seen by AFP, Ntaganda, who was absent from the courtroom, said "there is no possibility that I will see my wife and children again under normal conditions".

"That's why I am ready to die."

Last week, presiding judge Robert Fremr refused to lift visiting restrictions, citing concern he could be trying to interfere with witnesses or intimidate them.

But Fremr insisted "nothing in the restrictions prevents family visits from taking place".

Ntaganda has denied 18 charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity arising out of savage ethnic attacks carried out in the Democratic Republic of Congo by his rebel Patriotic Forces for the Liberation of Congo (FPLC) in 2002-2003.

Ethically-charged wars

In his statement, read in court by his lawyer he said, "When I gave myself up three years ago, I thought I would be able to defend myself. But I know now that is not the case. I know there is no way out, and I no longer have any hope."

The judges rejected a defence request to adjourn the trial until Monday, and said the hearings would resume on Wednesday, ordering his defence team to appear in court to represent him.

The judges also ordered that a medical professional should assess Ntaganda's fitness and that a visit from his family should be arranged expeditiously.

Prosecution lawyer Nicole Samson argued that the "onset of depression seems to have been a fairly speedy one and appears in our submission ... to be a manipulative tactic aimed at halting proceedings and negotiating with the chamber."

Ntaganda was handed over to the ICC after he turned himself into the US embassy in Kigali in 2013.

The eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has been mired for two decades in ethnically-charged wars, as rebels battle for control of its rich mineral resources.

Prosecutors say the man once dubbed "The Terminator" played a central role in the Ituri conflict which rights groups believe alone has left some 60 000 dead since 1999.

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  bosco ntaganda  |  drc  |  central africa  |  war crimes

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.