Egypt prosecution detains two women linked to Regeni case

2016-03-26 16:33
An image posted online after Giulio Regeni disappeared. (AP)

An image posted online after Giulio Regeni disappeared. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo – Egyptian prosecutors ordered on Saturday the four-day detention of two women arrested in an apartment where police found the belongings of murdered Italian student Giulio Regeni, a prosecution official said.

The women are the wife and a sister of one of four slain gang members whom police have linked to the brutal murder of Regeni, whose mutilated body was found more than week after his disappearance in Cairo on January 25.

They are accused of concealing a crime and being in the possession of stolen material, the official said.

Egyptian police announced on Thursday that they killed four gang members in a shootout, and then discovered Regeni's passport and wallet in the home of a suspect's sister.

Italy has cast doubt on the suggestion that the gang members – who allegedly posed as police to extort foreigners and Egyptians – were behind Regeni's murder.

"Italy insists: we want the truth," wrote Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni on his Twitter, while prosecutors in Rome rejected the latest conclusions of the Egyptian probe.

Italian media and western diplomatic sources in Cairo have voiced suspicions that Egyptian security services kidnapped and tortured to death the 28-year-old Cambridge University graduate student.

Rome prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone said in a statement that "details communicated so far are not satisfactory to shed light on the death of Giulio Regeni. Investigations must therefore continue."

According to Italian government sources, Premier Matteo Renzi has promised the parents of the young student that Rome will continue to put pressure on Egypt to establish the full truth behind his death.

Quoted by Italian press, Regeni's parents said they were "injured and bitter" at Egyptian authorities' latest attempt to explain their son's death.

Regeni had been researching labour movements in Egypt, a sensitive topic, and had written articles critical of the government under a pen name.

In a statement late on Friday, the Egyptian interior ministry said it was investigating the gang's links to Regeni's murder.

"The investigation apparatus is continuing, in coordination with the Italian security team, in its efforts to examine the gang's links, and the circumstances of the crimes and the areas in which they occurred," the ministry said.

Read more on:    giulio regeni  |  egypt  |  italy

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.