Egypt recovers sunken migrant boat, more bodies

2016-09-27 17:07
(File, AP)

(File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - Egypt has recovered at least 11 more bodies on Tuesday from last week's migrant shipwreck off Egypt's Mediterranean coast, a local official said, raising the death toll to 179 people.

"The sunken boat was pulled out half an hour ago,", Wahdan al-Sayed, spokesman for Beheira province in northern Egypt, told AFP.

He said 11 bodies more had so far been found.

Survivors have said up to 450 migrants were on board the overcrowded fishing vessel headed to Italy from Egypt when it keeled over off the port city of Rosetta on September 14.

Egypt's military says 163 survivors have been rescued.

On Monday, police detained the owner of the vessel. A judicial source said he could face charges of human trafficking and involuntary manslaughter.

Refugees and migrants 

A specialised ship with divers belonging to a petroleum company worked at the site of the shipwreck some 12 km offshore to pull the boat back up to the surface.

Survivors have said many migrants were trapped in the boat's hold when it keeled over.

The United Nations refugee agency, UNHCR, said on Friday that most of those rescued were Egyptians but they also included migrants from Sudan, Eritrea, Syria and Ethiopians.

"Since 2014, there has been a steady increase in the number of interceptions of refugees and migrants trying to leave Egypt in an irregular manner," the UNHCR said.

"Many refugees and migrants may be using Egypt as a transit country," it said, adding 2016 was expected to be the deadliest year on record for Mediterranean crossings by migrants.

More than 10 000 people have died attempting to cross the Mediterranean to Europe since 2014, according to the United Nations.

Egyptian authorities have so far this year foiled 110 attempts to smuggle migrants to Europe, Interior Minister Magdy Abdel Ghaffar said.

More than 4 600 non-Egyptians, many of them Sudanese and Ethiopians, have been arrested this year trying to depart from Egypt's northern coast, the UNHCR said.

Read more on:    unhcr  |  egypt  |  north africa  |  migrants

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.