Egypt's president calls for unity after migrant boat tragedy

2016-09-27 12:19
President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. (AFP)

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rosetta - President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Monday that Egyptians must join hands with the government to prevent a repeat of the tragedy that struck last week when a Europe-bound boat carrying hundreds of migrants sank off Egypt's coast, drowning at least 170 people.

In his first public comments on the incident, Sisi said the government could not alone safeguard the country's porous land and sea borders. "As a state, along with its institutions, we are concerned and committed to safeguarding our borders and preventing this, but society must contribute to the effort so this is never repeated."

Many of the Egyptians who were on board the boat were unescorted minors or single men in their early 20s looking for work in western Europe. Egypt's economy has been battered by years of unrest since the 2011 uprising, and now suffers from double-digit unemployment and inflation.

El-Sissi used his televised address to reassure Egyptians that everything was being done to revitalize the economy, but also to urge patience.

'Don't leave your country and go'

"There is hope, but we will not be able to overcome all the challenges in one, two or four years. No, it will take time," he said.

Addressing young people who are set on leaving the country through illegal migration, he said: "Don't leave your country and go, you can develop it if you will just join hands with us."

El-Sissi spoke shortly after a Health Ministry official said a total of 170 bodies had been pulled from the water in the five days since the boat sank.

The death toll is expected to rise, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorised to speak to the press.

The boat is believed to be lying at a depth of 15m, about 18km from the Egyptian shore.

Mohammed Sultan, governor of the coastal Beheira province said that a vessel was being sent by the oil company BP with specialised equipment to help lift the 80-ton fishing boat.

Read more on:    abdel fattah al-sisi  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.