EU warns Burundi of 'measures' over violence

2016-02-15 22:47

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - The European Union, strife-stricken Burundi's biggest aid donor, on Monday warned the country could face "appropriate measures" if it does not remedy its human rights record but stopped short of cutting assistance.

Burundi has been in turmoil since July when President Pierre Nkurunziza won a third term, which the opposition said was illegal and in breach of an accord ending a horrific 1993-2006 civil war which left 300 000 dead.

EU foreign ministers said talks with Burundi under the Cotonou agreement, which lays down strict rules for mutual cooperation including the promotion of human rights, had failed to resolve Brussels' concerns.

"The EU will adopt the appropriate measures necessary in view of the lack of positive signals," a statement said.

The statement gave no details of the measures envisaged at a time of almost daily bloodshed in the small central African country.

EU foreign affairs head Federica Mogherini said after the foreign ministers' meeting that while a suspension of aid is on the table, "it was not today's decision."

"That is going to be considered in coming weeks and I will give you all the details when the decision has been taken," Mogherini said.

The foreign ministers' statement also said it was "essential" that the government take part in talks with the opposition.

EU aid

"Any other step towards de-escalation and political opening will also be a very significant positive signal," it said.

"The EU, which is one of Burundi's main development partners, confirms its willingness to continue its support for the Burundian population through its development activities," it added.

EU aid programmes for Burundi over the period 2014-20 are worth around $482m and any threat to them would be serious for a very poor country beset by growing violence.

An EU diplomatic source told AFP on Friday that the bloc was considering the suspension of direct aid to Burundi's government in light of the worsening situation.

A grenade blast on Monday killed a child and wounded at least 30 people in the latest in a string of attacks, Burundi officials said.

Security forces, rebels and the opposition all blame each other for the hundreds of killings since last year.

Read more on:    eu  |  burundi  |  aid

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.