Fighting in Egypt's restive north Sinai kills 4 children

2016-01-29 08:29


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - Fighting between army troops and extremist militants in the restive northeastern part of the Sinai Peninsula killed four children and wounded eight other minors on Thursday, Egyptian medical officials said.

The Rafah hospital said in a statement that the children were killed and wounded during clashes using heavy weapons, with some buried under rubble when buildings were hit and collapsed. The fighting took place close to the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

Egypt has been hit with a wave of suicide bombings and militant attacks that intensified after the military's ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in 2013. The local Islamic State affiliate has claimed responsibility for most of the attacks.

Late in the night, the el-Arish security directorate said in a statement that an improvised explosive device also hit an armored column in the city, killing two senior police officers and wounding four others.

Earlier on Thursday, ISIS claimed responsibility for the roadside bombing of an army convoy in northern Sinai on Wednesday that killed at least four soldiers.

In a statement distributed by ISIS sympathisers on social media, the militant group said that it had killed and wounded more than 20 soldiers, including senior officers, during the attack. The Associated Press could not independently verify the claim, but its design and logo resembled previous ISIS claims.

Egyptian security and health officials had said the attack, just south of the coastal city of el-Arish, killed an army colonel and three soldiers and wounded another 12 soldiers, several of whom were in a critical condition. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.

On Wednesday, New York-based Human Rights Watch said in its annual report that militant attacks across Egypt had increased dramatically in 2015, despite Egypt's commitment of additional security forces.

"The government claimed that the army killed thousands of 'terrorists' in the Sinai but allowed no independent observers into the conflict area, and residents said the army had killed an unknown number of civilians," it said in the report.

Read more on:    isis  |  egypt  |  north africa  |  security

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.