Former Nigerian official accused of corruption asks court to dismiss charges

2016-01-23 13:20
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lagos - A former Nigerian presidential adviser accused of diverting $2.2 billion meant to buy weapons to fight Boko Haram on Friday challenged the government's right to put him on trial.

Retired Col. Sambo Dasuki, who was national security adviser to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, asked the High Court on Friday to dismiss all charges against him because the government flouted court orders to release him on bail.

He said the charges cannot be lawfully prosecuted by a government in brazen disobedience of the court's order.

Dasuki has been detained for nearly two months despite three different courts granting him bail on stiff conditions. President Muhammadu Buhari said December 31 his government would not release Dasuki to allow him to jump bail. Buhari has blamed Dasuki for deaths, abductions of civilians and for making children orphans because soldiers were not adequately equipped to fight Boko Haram's Islamic extremist fighters.

Dasuki has said in a written statement that he diverted the money on Jonathan's orders, including more than $50 million in cash removed from the Central Bank at night to pay delegates to nominate Jonathan as his party's presidential candidate. Jonathan lost March 2015 elections to Buhari, who promised to curb massive corruption and halt the six-year-old Islamic uprising that has killed some 20 000 people and driven 2.5 million from their homes.

The case was adjourned until February 4.

Buhari has been accused of running a witch hunt against officials of the former administration and of settling old scores against Dasuki, who was the army officer who arrested Buhari when he was overthrown in a 1980s palace coup after briefly serving as a military dictator.

The Nigerian leader last week ordered an investigation into serving and former top military officers over their roles in the purchase of military hardware.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  goodluck jonathan  |  nigeria

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.