In a first, ICC awards DRC war crimes victims $250 each

2017-03-24 19:31
Germain Katanga. (File: AFP)

Germain Katanga. (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hague - The International Criminal Court on Friday ordered 297 victims of ex-Congolese warlord Germain Katanga to each be paid "a symbolic" $250 in damages for a brutal 2003 attack on their village, in the tribunal's first such award.

Awarding both individual and collective damages, the court also found that Katanga was liable for one million dollars of the total damages estimated at $3.7m.

Katanga was sentenced by the ICC to 12 years in jail in 2014, after being convicted on five charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity for the February 2003 ethnic attack on Bogoro village in Ituri province of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

He was accused of supplying weapons to his militia in the attack in which some 200 people were shot and hacked to death with machetes.

"The chamber has assessed the scope of the prejudice to 297 victims as $3 752 620. The chamber sets the amount to be contributed by Mr Katanga towards the reparations as one million dollars," said presiding judge Marc Perrin de Brichambaut.

He recognised however that Katanga, currently imprisoned in Kinshasa where he is on trial on other charges arising out of the unrest in the Ituri region, was penniless or "indigent" and had no home or possessions.

The court acknowledged that the "symbolic amount of $250 to each victim of Mr Katanga ... does not make up for the totality of the crime," Perrin de Brichambaut said.

However it "can grant some measure of autonomy to the victims by making it possible for them to engage in some kind of activity... and make relevant decisions pertaining to their current needs."

Friday's order for reparations is a landmark step for the tribunal, set up in 2002 to prosecute the world's worst crimes, and marks the first time that monetary values have been placed on the harm caused by such crimes.

The court asked the Trust Fund for Victims, set up under the tribunal's founding guidelines to support victims, to consider using its resources to pay for the reparations and to come up with a plan for the court by late June.

Legal representatives for the victims had assessed the damage caused by the attack at $16.4m in a filing to the court last year.

Katanga was watching Friday's order from his prison in Kinshasa, while five victims representing the group followed in the village of Bunia with their lawyers.

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  germain katanga  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.