Ivory Coast to expand rapid response forces

2016-03-24 21:01
A police investigator works in front of the Hotel Etoile du Sud in Grand Bassam, Ivory Coast. (Issouf Sanogo, AFP)

A police investigator works in front of the Hotel Etoile du Sud in Grand Bassam, Ivory Coast. (Issouf Sanogo, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abidjan - Ivory Coast plans to establish new centres for rapid response forces to protect soft targets throughout the country following an attack by Islamic extremists on a popular beach town earlier this month that killed 19, the country's prime minister said on Thursday.

The March 13 attack on Grand-Bassam, claimed by Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, was the first of its kind in Ivory Coast. The Unesco World Heritage site attracts hundreds of holidaymakers each weekend and is linked by highway to Abidjan, Ivory Coast's commercial hub, allowing for a swift response from special forces that officials credit with mitigating the death toll.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday, Prime Minister Daniel Kablan Duncan said new centres for a special security unit would likely be set up in the northern city of Korhogo and in San Pedro, another beach destination in the southwest that is also home to Ivory Coast's second-largest port.

The highly-trained unit, the Co-ordination Centre of Operational Decisions, was created in 2013 and is composed of police, gendarmes and soldiers. It is based in Abidjan, but has some presence in Yamoussoukro, the capital, and Bouake, Ivory Coast's second-largest city.

Duncan said that without such a deployment locations far removed from Abidjan, the largest city, would remain vulnerable to extremist violence.

"If the attack had taken place in another region of Ivory Coast, in the west where there are beaches as well, how are you going to intervene rapidly?" he said. "Ivory Coast is a country that needs to be able to fight for itself."

Earlier this week, officials said 15 arrests had been made as part of an investigation of the Grand-Bassam attack. Prosecutor Richard Adou identified the suspected mastermind of the attack as Kounta Dallah, who remains at large. The government has distributed a photo of Dallah, but has not publicised his nationality, saying it wants to avoid reprisal violence.

The assault in Grand-Bassam was the third high-profile strike by Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb in West Africa in recent months, following a November attack on a hotel in Mali and a January attack on a popular café and hotel in Burkina Faso.

Top security officials from those three countries and Senegal met in Abidjan this week to discuss co-operation to defend the region against further extremist violence.

Read more on:    al-qaeda  |  mali  |  ivory coast  |  burkina faso

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.