Kenya flies back bodies of troops killed in Somalia attack

2016-01-19 11:18

Nairobi – The bodies of Kenyan soldiers killed when Al-Qaeda-linked militants overran their base in Somalia were flown home late on Monday draped in the national flag as a rescue operation was underway for survivors.

Defence Minister Raychelle Omamo called the dead "VIPs, the fallen heroes" as four coffins arrived by plane in the capital Nairobi. They were carried by an honour guard of their comrades.

The army has set up helplines for families of those killed, although it has yet to name them and no official toll has been released.

"This is a very sombre moment for the Kenya Defence Forces – and I think for the country at large," Omamo said, calling for "patience" as efforts to rescue remaining troops continued.

"Search rescue and recovery operations are ongoing, and consequently we except to receive more of our soldiers in the coming days," she added, without giving further details.

(Kenya Army soldiers unload the remains of their fallen comrades at the Wilson airport in Nairobi. Photo: Tony Karumba, AFP)

The African Union base in southwest Somalia was attacked by Shebab fighters early on Friday morning, the latest incident of an AU Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) base being overrun by the militants.

More than a dozen survivors, some wounded, were flown back on Sunday and Monday.

Kenya has so far declined to say how many of its soldiers were killed, wounded or missing but on Sunday a Shebab statement said that more than 100 Kenyan soldiers were killed and others captured.

(Photo: Tony Karumba, AFP)

The Shehab have also released two recordings they say are of captured Kenyan troops which were broadcast on their Radio Andalus station, although their veracity could not be confirmed.

Jihadist websites in Somalia claimed that 12 Kenyan soldiers were captured.

The militants frequently exaggerate the number of troops they kill, while AMISOM and the countries that contribute troops to the force rarely give reliable tolls.

Somali Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Sharmarke on Monday condemned the Shebab's "barbaric attack" as he offered his "condolences to the families of the gallant soldiers who lost their lives".

(Photo: Tony Karumba, AFP)

Read more on:    kenya  |  somalia

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.