Libya's recognised govt denies presence of French forces

2016-02-26 11:35


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Benghazi – Libya's internationally recognised government on Thursday denied reports that French special forces had been fighting the Islamic State group in the troubled country, after the rival administration in Tripoli confirmed them.

The recognised government "didn't allow and won't allow any foreign forces to enter Libyan territories", spokesperson Hatem el-Ouraybi told official news agency LANA.

"Our brave soldiers in the Arab Libyan Armed Forces are the ones who freed Benghazi from the hand of terror without any support from the international community," he said.

France's Le Monde newspaper on Wednesday said special forces and members of the DGSE external security service were present in Libya for "clandestine operations" against ISIS jihadists, thought to number several thousand.

It also claimed that an air strike in November that killed the top ISIS leader in the country, Abu Nabil, was "initiated by Paris".

The article triggered an official probe in France into a possible leak of classified information.

"This is not true. We deny these reports," El-Ouraybi told AFP on Thursday night after being asked to comment on Le Monde article.

LANA also quoted Wanis Bukhamada, special forces commander in the recognised government army, as saying that "only Libyans are the ones who fought terrorism in Benghazi".

However, the previous day the government in Tripoli, which is not recognised by the international community, said French special forces "were leading the fight in Benghazi".

Libya has had rival administrations since the summer of 2014 when the recognised government fled Tripoli after the Fajr Libya militia alliance overran the capital.

A power vacuum since the 2011 toppling of dictator Moamer Kadhafi has fostered the rise of the Islamic State (ISIS) group in the country.

The group is currently headquartered in the former dictator's hometown of Sirte, but control of Benghazi remains divided between a collection of militias.

France and other Western countries have agreed that military action is needed to dislodge IS in Libya, but it wants a national unity government in place to request assistance before making a formal intervention.

Read more on:    libya  |  north africa  |  isis

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.