Little known group says it's behind Egypt officer's killing

2016-10-23 14:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - A little known Egyptian group has claimed responsibility for the killing of a senior Egyptian army officer outside his suburban Cairo home.

The claim came in a statement by the "Banner of the Revolution" posted late Saturday on social media accounts known to be sympathetic to militant groups. The claim's authenticity could not be immediately verified.

Brigadier General Adel Ragai was the commander of the army 9th armored division headquartered in the sprawling military base of Dahshour west of Cairo. He had recently served in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula, where security forces have been fighting Islamic militants for years.

The statement said Ragai's driver and security guard were injured in the Saturday attack, which Egyptian media reported had been carried out by three masked gunmen.

The statement claimed the attack was in part in revenge for the killing earlier this month by security forces of Mohammed Kamal, a senior official of the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood.

Security 

The only other attack for which Banner of the Revolution claimed responsibility was an August shooting at a checkpoint in Menoufiya province north of Cairo which left two policemen dead and wounded three policemen and two civilians.

Hours after the attack on Ragai, President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi conferred with his prime minister, the defense and interior ministers and intelligence chief to review the security situation, according to a presidential statement. It said al-Sisi urged authorities to beef up security at vital installations, but gave no details.

Before the statement, suspicion fell on the local affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group leading the fight against security forces in Sinai and Hasm, or "Decisiveness", a shadowy group suspected of links to the Muslim Brotherhood. Hasm has claimed responsibility in recent weeks for attacks in Cairo, including a shooting against the country's former mufti, or chief Muslim theologian, and a car bomb against the chief prosecutor's deputy. Both escaped unhurt.

The insurgency in Sinai has grown deadlier following the military's 2013 ouster of an elected but divisive Islamist president, Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood. President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, himself a career army officer, said in a recent interview that he expected the war in Sinai to continue for a long time and that both sides in the conflict were getting better at fighting each other.

Read more on:    mohammed morsi  |  abdel fattah al-sisi  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.