Measures possible against Libya deal nay-sayers

2016-02-27 10:36
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Limassol - Mediterranean foreign ministers said on Friday that European countries could take unspecified "measures" against parties in Libya who block a UN-backed unity government initiative for the war-torn North African nation.

Libya has had rival parliaments and governments since 2014, after an Islamist-led militia alliance overran Tripoli and forced the internationally recognised administration to flee to the remote east of the oil-rich nation.

National accord

Extremists including the Islamic State group have exploited the chaos, raising fears of jihadists using the Libyan coast as a launchpad for attacks on Europe.

Foreign ministers from Mediterranean countries belonging to the so-called "Med Group" warned on Friday that the EU could take action against anyone blocking a unity government.

"Measures could be taken against those held accountable of spoilers of such a solution," the ministers said in a joint statement after meeting in Cyprus, without elaborating.

"A government of national accord would be a crucial partner in tackling effectively the threats and challenges to Libya, including terrorism, particularly considering the growing presence of (ISIS) and other extremist groups," they added.

Members of Libya's recognised parliament said this week they had been intimidated from voting in favour of a unity government.

Unity government

Libya was thrown into turmoil after a Nato-backed uprising that toppled longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

Western countries have agreed that military action is needed to dislodge ISIS in Libya, but world powers want a national unity government installed to request help before formally intervening.

Libya's recognised government on Thursday denied a report in the Le Monde newspaper that French troops were fighting in the country.

"This is not true. We deny these reports," said government spokesperson Hatem El-Ouraybi.


Read more on:    nato  |  libya  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.