More than a million refugees have fled South Sudan, UN says

2016-09-16 19:00
Refugees in South Sudan scramble for water. (File: MSF)

Refugees in South Sudan scramble for water. (File: MSF)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aweil - More than one million refugees have fled South Sudan's ongoing civil war, overwhelming aid agencies and creating one of the world's worst humanitarian disasters.

The United Nations said Friday that South Sudan joins Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia as countries that have produced over one million refugees.

"This is a very sad milestone," said Leo Dobbs, a spokesperson for the UN refugee agency. South Sudan's estimated population was over 12 million last year, according to the World Bank.

South Sudan gained independence from Sudan in 2011, but civil war erupted two years later and tens of thousands have been killed. New fighting in July in the capital, Juba, created a surge of more than 185 000 refugees. Most people fleeing are women and children.

World's poorest 

Neighboring Uganda hosts the highest number of refugees, and 20 000 have arrived in the past week due to clashes in southern South Sudan. Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan, Congo and Central African Republic also have received tens of thousands of people fleeing.

The UN praised the countries, some of the world's poorest, for allowing refugees to enter.

"Many refugees arrive exhausted after days walking in the bush and going without food or water," Dobbs said. "Many women and girls said they were sexually assaulted during their flight."

Another 1.6 million people are displaced inside South Sudan.

The fighting that erupted in July between supporters of President Salva Kiir and then-Vice President Riek Machar "has shattered hopes for a real breakthrough and triggered new waves of displacement and suffering", Dobbs said.

A peace deal reached a year ago continues to be violated. Machar fled the country during July's chaos.

South Sudan has been threatened by the UN Security Council with an arms embargo if it does not accept 4 000 additional peacekeepers to help protect civilians. The government calls the plan a violation of its sovereignty.




Read more on:    un  |  riek machar  |  salva kiir  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.