New Guinea Ebola outbreak

2016-03-31 06:40
Traditional healers cut a banana tree as part of an exorcism as villagers look on in Meliandou, Guinea. (Youssouf Bah, AP)

Traditional healers cut a banana tree as part of an exorcism as villagers look on in Meliandou, Guinea. (Youssouf Bah, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - A resurgence of Ebola in a rural Guinean community has killed seven people, health officials said on Wednesday, even as the World Health Organization voiced confidence that remaining isolated cases could be contained.

The WHO said on Tuesday that the Ebola outbreak in West Africa no longer constituted an international emergency, but the announcement of new cases demonstrated the difficulty of managing the aftermath of the virus.

The death of a man, two of his wives and his daughter were announced two weeks ago by the Guinean health authorities, who confirmed on Wednesday a third wife and a mother-in-law also died after becoming infected in the village of Koropara.

Polygamy is commonly practised in Guinea.

"On March 30, there are nine registered cases and seven deaths: three suspected and four confirmed," said Fode Tass Sylla, spokesman for Guinea's Ebola response unit.

Outside the family, a man died on March 22 after testing positive for Ebola in the city of Nzerekore.

Two more people - one suspected case and one confirmed - were receiving treatment at a dedicated Ebola facility in southern Guinea, not far from the Liberian border, Sylla said.

The country was declared free of Ebola transmission at the end of last year, though a significant number of deaths are believed to have gone unreported and "flare-ups" relating to the persistence of the virus in survivors' bodies pose ongoing challenges.

A WHO Ebola report released on Wednesday said the virus present in the blood of one of the confirmed cases was "closely related to (the) virus that circulated in south-eastern Guinea in November 2014".

More than a thousand people who are believed to have come into contact with the victims are being monitored for symptoms and offered support by the authorities, with restrictions placed on their movements.

"Additional cases are likely because of the large number of contacts," the WHO report added.

Those most at risk are also being vaccinated against the virus.

The deadliest-ever outbreak of the tropical disease emerged in the same region as the new cases in December 2013 and went on to kill more than 11 300 people, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

The WHO was first alerted to the reappearance of the Ebola symptoms in the family's village on March 16, the same day it declared a similar flare-up over in Sierra Leone.

Read more on:    who  |  guinea  |  ebola

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.