Nigeria attacks pro-Biafra propaganda as curfew eased

2017-09-19 06:06
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Aba - A dusk-to-dawn curfew imposed after clashes between pro-Biafra supporters and Nigerian security services was relaxed on Monday, as the government blasted social media "quacks and internet trollers" for stoking tensions.

The Abia state government in the country's southeast last week ordered people off the streets from 18:00 to 06:00 because of the unrest.

But it now said it had scaled back the start time to 22:00 "until further notice" because "relative peace and calm" had returned.

Members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) movement have clashed with the police and the military in Abia and neighbouring Rivers state over the last week.

IPOB wants an independent state for the Igbo people who dominate the region, reviving secessionist sentiment that led to a brutal civil war 50 years ago.

Fears the violence could take on a wider ethnic dimension were sparked last week after violence against Igbos living in the central city of Jos, where two people were killed.

On Saturday, police in the southern state of Delta said suspected IPOB members shot dead four people in a market dominated by Hausa-Fulani traders from the north.

IPOB claims the army, which has flooded the Abia state capital Umuahia and its commercial hub Aba with troops, is seeking to curtail its activities.

But the military, which has branded the group "a militant terrorist organisation", maintains it is conducting a routine operation against violent crime in the area.

Nigeria's highest-ranking army officer, Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai, told reporters in Abuja on Monday the soldiers' presence was "in line with their constitutional role".

On social media, pro-Biafra supporters regularly call for the break-up of Nigeria, which is almost evenly split between a mainly Muslim north and largely Christian south.

It is also home to hundreds of ethnic groups and languages.

But Information Minister Lai Mohammed accused IPOB of using "fake videos ... to mislead the international community and win their support".

He called the attempt to manipulate public opinion "the activities of quacks and internet trollers", rejecting IPOB claims of genocide against Igbos as "lies and propaganda".

"What we have in the southeast is a clampdown on a band of lawless people who have no regard for the laws of the land," he added.

Read more on:    ipob  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Sport
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.