Nigeria finds Chibok girl kidnapped by Boko Haram, with baby

2017-01-05 22:04
(File :AFP)

(File :AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maiduguri - Soldiers interrogating captured Boko Haram suspects have found one of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram nearly three years ago, along with her baby, Nigeria's military said Thursday.

Nearly 300 girls were kidnapped by the insurgents from a government boarding school in the remote northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, a mass abduction that shocked the world and brought Boko Haram international attention.

Most of the girls remain in captivity.

In May, one girl escaped. In October, the government negotiated the release of 21 more. Another girl was freed in November in an army raid on an extremist camp in the Sambisa Forest.

Army spokesman Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman identified the latest girl to be freed as Rakiya Abubakar and said she has a 6-month-old baby.

He said her identity was discovered when soldiers were interrogating some of more than 1 000 suspects detained in recent weeks of army raids on the Sambisa Forest.

Nigeria's government announced that troops two weeks ago destroyed that last stronghold of Boko Haram, and President Muhammadu Buhari declared the extremist group was finally "crushed."

That raised questions about the whereabouts of the other Chibok girls, believed held in the forest.

Some 196 remained missing before Thursday's discovery, though some of the freed girls have said that several in their group have died from things like malaria and snakebite.

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau issued a video last week contradicting the government, declaring that the war was just starting and urging his fighters to keep killing, bombing and abducting people.

Nigeria's government has been criticised over its treatment of the freed girls, who have been sequestered in Abuja, the capital, allegedly for trauma counseling and rehabilitation.

The freed girls insisted on being taken to Chibok for Christmas, but they were kept in the home of a local legislator, prevented from attending Christmas service and did not see their parents until the next day.

Boko Haram's seven-year Islamic uprising has killed more than 20 000 people, spread across Nigeria's borders, forced 2.6 million from their homes and created a massive humanitarian crisis in which the UN says 5.1 million people face starvation in northeast Nigeria.


Read more on:    boko haram  |  muhammadu buhari  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.