Nigeria orders arrest of ex-adviser over $2bn arms deal

2015-11-18 13:13


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nigeria's president has ordered the arrest of the former national security adviser for allegedly stealing more than $2bn meant to purchase weapons for the military to fight the armed group Boko Haram.

"Thousands of needless Nigerian deaths would have been avoided" if the money had been properly spent, Femi Adesina, an adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari, said in a statement on Tuesday.

It accused Sambo Dasuki, a key adviser to former president Goodluck Jonathan, of awarding "phantom contracts" to buy 12 helicopters, four fighter jets, and bombs and ammunition worth $2bn that never were supplied.

Dasuki also got the Central Bank to transfer $142.6m to a company with accounts in the United States, the United Kingdom, and in West Africa for unknown purposes and without contracts, Adesina alleged.

Dasuki denied any wrongdoing in an interview on Tuesday night with the PR Nigeria news agency.

He said he was proud that in the final months under his watch Nigeria's military ousted Boko Haram from a large swath of territory it had seized in northeast Nigeria.

The State Security Service has kept Dasuki under house arrest for more than a week despite a Federal High Court order allowing him to travel abroad for medical care. The court granted Dasuki bail after he pleaded innocent to other charges of money-laundering involving more than $423 000 found in cash, and illegal possession of arms seized at two of his homes.

RELATED: Boko Haram survivors suffer from fear and stigma

Tuesday's development follows an interim report by a presidential committee investigating arms procurement, part of the fight against Nigeria's endemic corruption that Buhari has waged since taking office in May.

Dasuki, aged 60, had usurped the role of the Ministry of Defence in procuring weapons. He was called before a Senate committee last year to explain South Africa's seizure of $9.3m in cash from a private Nigerian jet that landed in Johannesburg, and a $5.7m bank transfer that South Africa said involved an illegal arms deal.

Dasuki said the deals were legitimate.

Meanwhile, at least 32 people were killed and dozens wounded in a blast at a market in the northeastern Nigerian city of Yola on Tuesday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Read more on:    muhammadu buhari  |  nigeria  |  west africa  |  economy

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.