Nigerian journalist wanted over Chibok girls - army

2016-08-15 12:44
Video grab image taken from a video released on Youtube purportedly by Islamist group Boko Haram. (AFP)

Video grab image taken from a video released on Youtube purportedly by Islamist group Boko Haram. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lagos – Nigeria's army has declared three people, including a journalist, wanted for allegedly concealing information on more than 200 girls abducted from their school in Chibok in April 2014, a spokesperson said on Monday.

Colonel Sani Usman told AFP that local journalist Ahmad Salkida had been in contact with the Islamists, as had Ahmed Bolori and Aisha Wakil.

"There is no doubt that these individuals have links with Boko Haram terrorists and have contacts with them," he said.

"They must therefore come forward and tell us where the group is keeping the Chibok girls and other abducted persons to enable us rescue them."

Usman said the military would work with other security agencies to bring in the suspects "if they fail to turn up".

He added that authorities also want to talk to the suspects over a recent video released by Boko Haram on the girls.

Salkida is said to have high-level contacts among the group's leaders and is believed to have been involved in failed talks between Boko Haram and the government of former president Goodluck Jonathan.

On Sunday, Boko Haram released a video of the Chibok girls, showing some who are still alive and claiming that others died in air strikes.

The video was the latest release from Boko Haram's embattled leader Abubakar Shekau, who this month denied claims that he has been replaced as the leader of the jihadist group.

The video demanded the release of Boko Haram fighters held by the government in exchange for the kidnapped schoolgirls. The government said it was studying the footage.

The mass kidnapping of the schoolgirls from the town of Chibok provoked global outrage and brought unprecedented attention to Boko Haram and its bloody quest to create an Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly-Muslim north.

Throughout last year the military announced the rescue of hundreds of people, most of them women and children, who have been kidnapped by the Islamists.

But the missing schoolgirls were not among them, despite several unconfirmed sightings.

Boko Haram's seven-year insurgency has left some 20 000 people dead and forced at least 2.6 million others to flee their homes.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  chibok girls  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.