Nigerian media magnate charged

2015-12-09 19:58
Nigeria's former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki attends a hearing to face charges of possessing weapons illegally, at the Federal High Court in Abuja, Nigeria. (AP Photo file)

Nigeria's former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki attends a hearing to face charges of possessing weapons illegally, at the Federal High Court in Abuja, Nigeria. (AP Photo file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja - The founder of Nigeria's first private radio and television stations was on Wednesday charged with fraud and money laundering after being arrested as part of a wider probe into disputed arms deals.

Raymond Dokpesi, head of Raypower FM and Africa Independent Television (AIT), was brought before a federal high court in Abuja to face six charges of corruption.

The 64-year-old is alleged to have collected around $10.5m from the then-national security advisor Sambo Dasuki, who is himself facing similar charges.

The charges allege that between October 2014 and March 2015 Dokpesi, who is chair of Daar Communications, "conducted procurement fraud by means of fraudulent and corrupt act".

The money is said to have gone "for the funding of media activities for the 2015 presidential election campaign for the Peoples Democratic Party" (PDP).

Then-president Goodluck Jonathan, from the PDP, lost to the All Progressives Congress candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, who has since embarked on a wide-ranging anti-corruption campaign.

The charges also alleged Dokpesi knew the money "represented the proceeds of criminal conduct" of Dasuki and his finance director Shuaibu Salisu.

Dokpesi pleaded not guilty and judge Gabriel Kolawole ordered him to be remanded in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) until a bail application hearing on Thursday.

Frivolous and ridiculous

A trial date was fixed for February 17 next year.

Dokpesi's lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, described the charges as "frivolous and ridiculous".

Buhari said last month Nigerian troops were denied weapons to fight Boko Haram Islamists and thousands of lives were lost because of rampant fraud in the procurement process.

Dasuki has denied accusations he awarded some $2bn in bogus deals for fighter jets, helicopters, weapons and ammunition that never materialised.

The 60-year-old former army colonel has said all contracts and payments were sanctioned by Jonathan as president and commander-in-chief.

The EFCC probe has also seen a former minister of state for finance under Jonathan and the former governor of the northwestern state of Sokoto hauled in for questioning.

Read more on:    raypower fm  |  raymond dokpesi  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.