Nigerian military blames homeless for botched air strike

2017-07-21 20:56
Flag and map of Nigeria. (iStock)

Flag and map of Nigeria. (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja - Nigeria's military on Friday blamed an unexpected gathering of homeless people for a botched air strike that killed 112 at a camp for those displaced by the Boko Haram conflict.

Air force jets targeted the camp in Rann, northeast Nigeria, on January 17 as aid workers distributed food to internally displaced people (IDPs) living in makeshift shelters.

Commanders at the time called the bombing a mistake and blamed "the fog of war".

A Nigerian Air Force board of inquiry had been due to report in early February on the strike, which also injured nearly 100 people, many of them women and children.

Defence spokesperson Major General John Enenche gave no explanation for the six-month delay in revealing its findings.

But in a brief statement he blamed "lack of appropriate marking of the area" for the bombardment.

"Hitherto, people were not expected to amass at that location," he said of the camp, which at the time was home to between 20 000 and 40 000 people and was run by the military.

"Furthermore, the location was not reflected in the operational map as a humanitarian base."

Enenche said the homeless had gathered "near the camp". At the time aid agency workers said the first bomb landed just metres  from the Red Cross office in the camp.

Six Nigerian Red Cross workers were among the dead.

Previously, the military has attributed the bombing to a failure of intelligence caused by information provided by an unnamed foreign country.

Enenche said Boko Haram fighters, who were known to be active in the area in northern Borno state, typically amassed before attacking civilians.

"Hence, it (the location) appeared as a place that could equally be used for enemy activities," he told a news conference in Abuja.

"Thus, when mass movement was noticed through aerial satellite observation, it was taken for Boko Haram terrorists activity, which needed to be neutralised with speed."

The statement also said recommendations of the air force board of inquiry report, which was not published, included sharing of the precise locations of humanitarian activity with the military.

Nigeria's military controls media access to IDP camps across Borno state, and also provides assistance to humanitarian groups working there.

Reporters have been allowed to visit many camps across Borno but so far access to Rann has been extremely limited.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.