Nigerian military ordered to boost response to Boko Haram

2017-07-31 10:20
File: AP

File: AP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja - Nigeria's military has been ordered to strengthen its response to Boko Haram after 69 people were killed in an ambush earlier last week, the government said on Sunday.

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo held emergency talks with top brass to discuss Tuesday's attack, which targeted an oil exploration team in the northeastern state of Borno.

The attack was the worst since February 2 last year, when 58 people were killed in a twin suicide bomb attack at a camp for the displaced in the Borno town of Dikwa.

Osinbajo's spokesperson Laolu Akande said the vice-president, standing in for President Muhammadu Buhari who is on indefinite sick leave, called the attack "appalling".

The meeting with commanders on Thursday saw Osinbajo issue "fresh directives... to immediately scale-up their efforts and activities in Borno state... to maintain a strong, effective control of the situation", he added.

The ambush near Magumeri killed 19 soldiers, 33 militia members and 17 civilians, sources told AFP, while three staff members from the University of Maiduguri were kidnapped.

Sustained counter-insurgency 

Boko Haram published a video of the trio on Friday night in which they appealed to Osinbajo to meet their abductors' demands.

Analysts have said the attack, apparently by the Islamic State-supported faction headed by Abu Mus'ab al-Barnawi, was an indication of a newly emboldened Boko Haram.

Nigeria's military has long maintained the group, which in 2014 held territory across northeast Nigeria, is all but defeated as a result of its sustained counter-insurgency.

Osinbajo acknowledged that "pockets of terrorists have been launching attacks recently in Borno state".

But he said the government was "on top of the situation (and) will define the end of these atrocities by both winning the war and winning the peace in the northeast".

At least 20 000 people have been killed in the Islamist insurgency since it began in 2009.

The exploration team from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation was hunting for crude in the Lake Chad basin as part of efforts to diversify supply and boost reserves.

Osinbajo said the ambush would not prevent the process.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  muhammadu buhari  |  yemi osinbajo  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Weird things dogs do

Caught your dog doing something... well a little bit odd? Don’t worry, there’s a simple explanation for his behaviour.

 
 

Paws

Makeover saves dog’s life
For the love of Corgis!
Can we communicate with our pets?
8 great natural remedies for your pet
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.