No charges in inquiry of child sex abuse by French troops in CAR

2017-01-06 10:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Paris - The Paris prosecutor's office says an investigation into alleged child sexual abuse by French soldiers in Central African Republic has concluded without anyone being charged.

Spokesperson Agnes Thibault-Leroux said on Thursday the investigation formally ended last month.

She declined to elaborate.

French newspaper Le Monde reported that the decision stemmed from insufficient "elements" to press charges.

Several boys told United Nations investigators they were sexually abused by French troops in the Central African Republic capital, Bangui, in May and June 2014.

Fourteen French soldiers reportedly were suspected of being involved.

The sexual abuse allegedly took place in or near a camp for displaced people near M'Poko airport.

The French defense ministry did not immediately comment.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said he understands that it's now up to the prosecutor to decide whether to go forward, following the submission of results from the investigative judges.

"So obviously we'll keep an eye on this," Dujarric said. "But as we've said, it is the responsibility of member states to fully investigate and hopefully prosecute crimes. The fight against impunity for these horrendous actions has to be a partnership between the UN and member states."

A special unit of the military police also investigates possible offenses or crimes perpetrated by French troops based abroad, including in the Central African Republic.

A separate probe into alleged sexual abuse by UN peacekeepers and French troops between 2013 and 2015 in the town of Dekoa is ongoing.

The UN referred the allegations to the French defense ministry in April 2016.

At the time, the UN reported that more than 100 girls and women have come forward with sexual abuse accusations against international troops in CAR.

France, Central African Republic's former colonial ruler, sent troops to the country in late 2013 amid violence between Christians and Muslims.

A UN peacekeeping mission began the next year to help stabilize the country.


Associated Press Writer Edith Lederer contributed from New York.

Read more on:    un  |  france  |  central african republic  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.