One known Ebola case left in Guinea

2016-04-14 22:00
An airport worker wears a protective face mask in the arrivals area. (Mark Ralston, AFP)

An airport worker wears a protective face mask in the arrivals area. (Mark Ralston, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - A dedicated Ebola clinic was treating Guinea's only known case of the virus on Thursday after the recovery of a girl diagnosed with the disease, the charity running the facility said.

The Alliance For International Medical Action (ALIMA) runs the country's sole treatment centre in the southern city of Nzerekore, where it has handled six of the 10 confirmed cases recorded since the outbreak was officially declared over in December.

"[Of] six confirmed cases, four have died, one was discharged after recovery and the sixth is still here," said ALIMA emergency co-ordinator Solenne Barbe.

Barbe attributed the high mortality rate to the fact that the recent patients arrived too late to be treated with a good chance of survival.

The newest confirmed case is an elderly man from Macenta prefecture to the north of Nzerekore, she said, thought to be a healer visited by one of the dead while still alive and infected with the virus.

According to health authorities, that deceased man's wife and her children crossed the border into Liberia before she too succumbed to the virus. One son also died while another remains under treatment in Monrovia.

In a rare piece of good news since Ebola's reappearance, an 11-year-old girl left the centre on April 8 after a successful recovery, according to ALIMA.

The World Health Organization was first alerted to the reappearance of Ebola symptoms in a Guinean village near the Liberian border on March 16, the same day it declared a similar flare-up over in Sierra Leone.

Since then eight people have died, all in the same area, while the country's Ebola response unit confirmed Thursday that more than 1 700 people have been vaccinated against the virus.

The WHO has said Ebola no longer constitutes an international emergency, but the announcement of new cases in west Africa has demonstrated the difficulty of managing its aftermath.

The deadliest period in the history of the feared tropical virus wrecked the economies and health systems of the three worst-hit west African nations - Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia - after it emerged in December 2013.

The virus has since claimed 11 300 lives.

Read more on:    guinea  |  west africa  |  ebola

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.