S Sudan paper shut down as it headlines govt corruption

2016-09-14 21:00
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - The South Sudan government has shut down the country's main English-language daily, which headlined news on a war profiteering report commissioned by actor George Clooney, the paper's editor told AFP on Wednesday.

Nation Mirror editor Simon Aurelious said officials from the National Security Service gave no clear reason for the closure, simply saying "the paper is indulging in activities incompatible with its status".

"We were called today to the office of the National Security and after reaching there they showed us an order. The order is instructing us to close down," Aurelious said.

The paper's headlines on Wednesday and Tuesday focused on a report released in Washington this week about the alleged implication of President Salva Kiir, rebel chief Riek Machar and the country's army chiefs in corruption during the nation's three-year civil war.

The report by watchdog group The Sentry said leaders of the world's newest country had profited from a conflict that has driven a quarter of a million people from their homes and left tens of thousands dead.

One of the Nation Mirror headlines read "Kiir, Machar and top Generals implicated in Sentry Report" while another said "Machar's source of weapons uncovered."

The government has denied the report as "completely rubbish".

Not the first time

Aurelious said security authorities two weeks ago summoned him and demanded the paper's management produce the author of a critical piece on the government.

But the Nation Mirror refused to give the writer's name.

"They told us that if this is the case we are going to notify you" to close down, he said.

In February last year the paper was shut down by government security agents for nine months after publishing details on the activities of rebels affiliated to Machar.

Alfred Taban, a veteran South Sudanese journalist who is chairman of the country's Association for Media Development, AMDISS, said the latest decision "is shocking news".

"We are yet to check with the Media Authority as to why they [National Security] are doing this," Taban said.
Taban spent 13 days in detention in July after writing an editorial sharply critical of Kiir and Machar.

The paper's closure comes days after the United Nations expressed concern over alleged threats by government officials against civil society activists in contact with a UN Security Council group that visited South Sudan to look at the possible deployment of a regional protection force.

The government rejected the idea.



Read more on:    riek machar  |  salva kiir  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.