Sierra Leone vaccinates people quarantined after Ebola death

2016-01-21 09:48
5 year old Ebola survivor in a checkup with doctor Jostein Heggeboe in the MSF survivor clinic in Freetown, Sierra Leone

5 year old Ebola survivor in a checkup with doctor Jostein Heggeboe in the MSF survivor clinic in Freetown, Sierra Leone (Tommy Trenchard)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Freetown - Sierra Leone authorities Wednesday announced a vaccination programme for people quarantined following a new Ebola death last week just as west Africa declared an end to the epidemic.

"Vaccination began yesterday [Tuesday]," in places the victim, a 22-year-old student, visited before her death on January 12 in the northern town of Magburaka, Sierra Leone's head of medical services, doctor Brima Kargbo, told AFP.

He said they were using the VSV-EBOV vaccine, which has already been tested in Guinea, one of the three countries worst affected by the outbreak, along with Liberia and Sierra Leone and was also used in September in a town in northern Sierra Leone under quarantine.

This vaccine is the first to have proven effective, according to experts.

The operation will last "until all the contacts are vaccinated", Kargbo added.

Since Tuesday, 22 people have been vaccinated in Magburaka and five in Kambia while figures were not yet available for the town of Lunsar, where the dead student usually lived.

According to medical sources, the young woman fell ill at the start of January while on holiday in Baomoi Luma, near the border with Guinea.

The World Health Organization announcement on Friday confirming she had tested positive for Ebola came just a day after west Africa celebrated the end of the outbreak with Liberia becoming the last of the three worst-hit countries in the region to be declared free of the disease.

Among the hundreds of identified contacts, "nobody has shown any sign or symptom of the virus yet," Kargbo said.

In Lunsar, however, some were opposed to receiving the vaccine and had refused to allow health teams into their homes, according to residents.

"Some of those quarantined barricaded their homes saying the vaccine was harmful and could lead to other ailments," one of them said.

The Ebola outbreak, which began in Guinea in December 2013, killed more than 11 000 people and was the deadliest outbreak of the virus yet.

Read more on:    sierra leone  |  west africa  |  ebola

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.